We are providing this information as a benefit to our customers. If you have detailed questions concerning licensing, please give us a call. This information is only applicable to customers using two-way radios within the United States.
Read 'Understanding FCC Bands' under our 'FCC Radio License' section of Help on this website to become familiar with the primary FCC service types used for two-way radios. This will help you determine which service is appropriate for your usage before proceeding with your application.
GMRS Overview (General Mobile Radio Service)
- GMRS is for individuals and their family members. For non-commercial use only.
- Is a more powerful service for individuals than FRS.
- Handheld radios can be up to 5 watts but must transmit in analog.
- Repeaters are allowed with some limitations.
- GMRS requires a license. One license covers the entire family.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for the license, but anyone within your family (regardless of age) can use the radios.
- Equipment must be certified for GMRS use.
- You can only transmit on frequencies designated for GMRS (see list below).
- You must stay within the power limitations assigned for each frequency (see list below).
GMRS frequencies are at the bottom of this page.
GMRS License - Start Here...
To use GRMS frequencies, the FCC requires you to obtain a license. To get a license you don’t have to take an exam, but you will need to fill out the required forms and send your payment.
Obtaining an FRN
- First, you must obtain an FRN number (FCC Registration Number).
- There is no charge to obtain an FRN. However, there is a fee when you apply for your license.
- To get your FRN, go to the FCC Universal Licensing System .
- Select "Register" on the ULS Home page, complete the online questionnaire.
- You will receive your FRN immediately upon completing the one-page online form. Then you can move to the next steps below.
GMRS Application Process
The process to obtain a GMRS license is fairly easy. You can apply for a license online by following the steps below.
Once you have your FRN (see "Obtaining an FRN" in the previous paragraph) from the main FCC screen choose "Online Filing, Log In". Follow the screen pages below.
Answer the questions on the following screens to complete your GMRS license application. Navigate through each screen by clicking on the 'Continue' button. A printed copy of you new license will be mailed to you.
Login using your FRN and password.
Select "Apply For a New License" on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
Select "ZA - General Mobile Radio (GMRS)" from the drop-down menu.
Complete your application by filling out the information. Continue to the certification section, and certify your information is true and correct.
- Your license is valid for 10 years and permits you to transmit on GMRS frequencies (see list below)
- Your equipment must be Part 90 and/or Part 95 type-accepted
- GMRS is also for individuals and their friends and family. For non-commercial use only.
- You should become familiar with the rules and etiquette of two-way radio and GMRS.
- You should memorize your call sign and be able to provide it when asked by other users.
CH Type Frequency FRS Limits GMRS Limits
1 FRS/GMRS 462.5625 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
2 FRS/GMRS 462.5875 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
3 FRS/GMRS 462.6125 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
4 FRS/GMRS 462.6375 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
5 FRS/GMRS 462.6625 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
6 FRS/GMRS 462.6875 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
7 FRS/GMRS 462.7125 2W / 12.5kHz 5W / 25kHz*
8 FRS/GMRS 467.5625 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
9 FRS/GMRS 467.5875 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
10 FRS/GMRS 467.6125 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
11 FRS/GMRS 467.6375 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
12 FRS/GMRS 467.6625 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
13 FRS/GMRS 467.6875 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
14 FRS/GMRS 467.7125 ½ W / 12.5kHz ½ W / 12.5kHz requires built-in antenna
15 FRS/GMRS 462.5500 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
16 FRS/GMRS 462.5750 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
17 FRS/GMRS 462.6000 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
18 FRS/GMRS 462.6250 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
19 FRS/GMRS 462.6500 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
20 FRS/GMRS 462.6750 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
21 FRS/GMRS 462.7000 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
22 FRS/GMRS 462.7250 2W / 12.5kHz 50W / 25kHz*
GMRS Repeater Frequencies
RPT15 GMRS 467.5500 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT16 GMRS 467.5750 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT17 GMRS 467.6000 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT18 GMRS 467.6250 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT19 GMRS 467.6500 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT20 GMRS 467.6750 - 50W / 25kHz*
PRT21 GMRS 467.7000 - 50W / 25kHz*
RPT22 GMRS 467.7250 - 50W / 25kHz*
*Note: 20kHz Authorized Bandwidth.